Registration Procedures
Charges, Time Limits & Penalties
Collection of Civil ID Card
Passport & other Documents
Once an expatriate has obtained his residence then he must obtain a civil identity (ID) card (bitaqa-almadaniyah), no matter what type of residence he is on. Civil ID cards are issued by PACI, the public Authority for civil information. After his first card has been issued, the holder’s civil ID number remains the same even if he changes his sponsors or leave Kuwait and comes back several years later on a different residence visa.
The civil ID card shows the holder’s civil number, full name, date of birth ( which is also included in the algorithm for the ID number) local address, blood group, sponsor’s name, type of visa, etc, and date of expiry of the card. Wherever the card expires or an expatriate change sponsor, renews his residence or changes his address, his civil ID card must be amended accordingly. PACI has several offices, each with different functions.

Photographs   (TOP)
Wherever applying for the first time or renewing or replacing civil ID card, four photographs, showing the face without spectacles, are always required for those over 11 years of age. Photographs are not required for elderly Kuwaiti females.

Registration Procedures   (TOP)
To register for a civil ID for the first time, the documents required are:
· Passport
· Copy of passport pages showing personal details and residence stamp
· Security clearance (Fingerprinting) from those over 16 years
· Original birth certificate if born in Kuwait
· Blood group certificate those over 5 years
· Proof of house address (eg, rental agreement and rent receipts)
· Declaration signed by sponsors
For a first time domestic servant’s civil ID all the above documents, except the first, are needed. For the first civil ID for the baby born in Kuwait, just a copy of the baby’s birth certificate, and a copy of the sponsors passport(showing personal details, residence stamp and the addition of the baby) or the baby’s own passport (showing personal details and residence stamp) are required.
When changing or renewing a civil ID, an expatriate no matter what type of visa he is on, only needs to submit a copy of his passport (showing personal details and the residence stamp) and his sponsors declaration. To have an amended card issued following a change of address, the current card plus proof of the new address (eg, rental agreement) must be submitted. To replace lost card, a photocopy of the lost card and the expatriate’s passport is required.
First time applicants on a work or dependent’s visa must go in person to the PACI office in Farwaniyah, as must all those who wish to replace a lost card. Those on a work or dependent’s visa who are renewing or changing their civil IDs, and first time applicants for a document’s servant’s civil ID, and applicants for the first civil ID of a baby born in Kuwait, can buy the application form and special envelopes from ”Express-Envelope” machines located in Coop supermarkets (250fils), follow the instructions and submit their applications in these special machines.

Charges, Time Limits & Penalties   (TOP)
The charge for civil ID card is KD 2 when it is first issued and each time it is renewed. The charge is paid when the card is collected, there is a fee of KD 10 to replace a lost card.
An expatriate must apply for a civil ID card within 30 days of getting his residency, and must renew his card within 30days of getting his residency, and in Kuwait, the time limit for first registration is 60 days from the date of birth. In all cases the irrespective of the length of the delay, though in practice PACI only levy a one-off fine of KD 20.

Collection of Civil ID Card   (TOP)

For Online inquiry go to PACI
It takes about 10 days for a civil ID card to be processed.
Expatriates can ascertain the status of cards under process through PACI’s computersed telephone answering system by calling 889988 and keying in their civil ID number (for renewals) or the serial number on the outside of the envelope in which the application was submitted.
The civil ID card can only be picked up in person at the PACI office in South of Surrah (sixth ring road) beside ministry of elecrocity and water from an electronic dispensing machine. The actual machine to be used is ascertained by dialing the above telephone numbers. Two dinars plus the old civil ID card (if held) must be fed into the machine to obtain the new card.

Passport & other Documents   (TOP)
Many sponsors (including ministries) insist on holding their employees passport, even after residence formalities have been completed. Expatriates resent this. Though Kuwaiti Law is silent on this matter, in August 1997 a court ordered a company to return a passport to a former employee on the grounds that a passport belongs to the holders.
An expatriate should note that a passport is the property of the issuing government and that the holder is under a duty not to allow it to pass into the possession of an unauthorised person, and so allowing his sponsor to hold his passport indefinitely may be contrary to the law of his own country. And an expatriate whose passport is held by his sponsor may not be able to travel immediately in an emergency should his sponsor be out of the country or otherwise understandable. A majority of expatriate are laborers living in camps, where important documents can be easily lost or traded. In addition as exit visas for fiduciary bonds are relatively unknown in Kuwait, there is always the risk that an expatriate who controls valuable assets may abscond from the country.
The best tactic for an expatriate whose sponsor refuses to return his passport is to seek advice from his embassy, and insist that the advice be given in writing. The expatriate could also write to the issuing authority in his own country asking for ‘permission ‘ to allow his employer to hold his passport indefinitely.
The Human Rights Committee at the National assembly claims a special interest in ensuring that employers return their employees passports after the completion of immigration formalities.